Rules:
1. Grab the nearest book of 123 pages or more.
2. Open it to page 123.
3.Find the first 5 sentences and write them down.
4.Then invite 5 friends to do the same.

I am not an avid reader. Never have been. It wasn't that I didn't want to read, it was that reading did not come easy to me with my dyslexia.....I was always told I was lazy and didn't try....I so wanted to be able to devour books like my sisters...goodness my one sister could read a whole novel while having a bath....if they only knew how hard I tried. It was my sister Eileen who believed in me. She took the time to sit with me and teach me....she was a natural teacher, I guess that is why she ended up being a teacher and specialized teaching children with learning disabilities. As the years past I did start to read novels, mostly mystery. Again, it was my sister Eileen who introduced me to a wider variety of books, like The Bean Tree, Poison Wood Bible, Ruth, Anna's Daughters....such a plethora of books, all had such deep and personal meanings to them, they were all books she had read and felt I would enjoy....and indeed I did..the book I am reading now is one she gave me, it's called A Recipe for Bees by Gail Anderson-Dargatz. I am only into the first few chapters but it is proving to be a great read...I just find it so very interesting that I decided to pick up this book and read it now...I have had this book for 5 years...it has sat on my book shelf all this time...I can remember when Eileen gave me this book , she told me I would really love it...little did I know then the impact it would have....as it turns out this book is about an older couple who sold their farm in the Shushwap and moved to Vancouver Island...where I live now....and it takes place in the community in which I work.....every place they mention in the book I am familiar with(now that I live on the Island)....had I read this book five years ago when it was given to me, I wonder if it would have had the same impact and appreciated it as much...it just so happens that this month will be 5 years since my dear sweet sister passed away....on the inside cover she had signed her name.....I love that.... I have always believed she is connecting with me in one way or another.....
So here is page 123.....
Karl took Augusta's hand and glanced at his father. "But just Sundays off. Or one day during the week. Surely one day a week." "one day you'll inherit this farm and you can run it as you please. but now it's my farm and I'll run it. If you don't like it you can go someplace else and get a job, but don't expect there to be a farm to come back to if you do. I can't run this farm by myself. It'll be in ruins if you leave."
Now here are the people I have tagged:
Jeni
Silverneurotic
akelamalu
Grandmocha
Minnesoablue
Hope you all are having a fantastic weekend!
P.S. Please don't feel pressured into doing this meme....do it if you have time and want to O.K. ~hugs~
9 comments:
Ah synchronicity - I do believe that things happen at certain times to remind us of things - in this case the book brings back wonderful memories of your sister.
I will try to do the tag later this week.
What a wonderful tribute to your sister in this meme. A very touching post Mary Anne.
I'm sure you know that helping you was the inspiration for your sister to then go on and do such important work.
We are all who and what we are so that everyone around us can be touched by all of life.
And you became a healer ... :)
I love reading books that are about places that I'm familiar with, makes it much more engaging to be able to picture exactly where the setting is, instead of making something up.
I'll try to do this tomorrow. Today sadly, I'm short on time due to work committements.
SmalltownRN: I am currently down with the GOOK and between coughing, sneezing and trying to write a new blog I,m not at my best. Will try later
I'll bet your sister is trying to connect with you. (((HUGS)))
Thanks for stopping by and asking about my daughter. She should be home by Wednesday and I miss her terribly.
It was not the right time to read it before, I guess. Don't you love finding a book that has familiar things in it. Last night, reading, I came across the reference to Guelph, Canada and the university there. Now I've only been to Canada once, after a weekend in Niagra, we spent a week in this little town where J was visiting a client. I did lots of walking around this university town.
I once read a book titled, The Rift. I enjoyed it and read it again but hung onto it. Many years later, I found myself in Memphis and picked up the book a third time. So many of the places mentioned were now recognizable to me because of where I lived.
I'm glad you enjoy reading now. It is such a joy and brings so much knowlege.
Mama Bear
This sounds like an interesting book, especially with its connection to the author’s life.
Post a Comment