Thursday, January 08, 2009

Let's get real.....


So I have really been trying to take every one's advice and just lay low and relax and heal. So I have read a few books and a text book for work, and done a lot of television watching....something I don't do a whole heck of a lot of.

Wow is day time TV full of crap or what.....You've got your Jerry Springer who's guests are always fighting with each other on stage...we see way to much flesh and at times it's beyond obscene...then you have Maury Povich....who dedicates most of his shows on teen pregnancy and who's your daddy...lie detectors and so on....throw into the mix all those Judge Murphy and Judge Joe and the likes....and of course let's not forget those home decorating shows...telling you how to decorate and drop an easy $1000 on some faux throw or something...or better yet what about shows like What not to wear? Dear god who died and made these two hosts the guru's for fashion....have you seen what they wear sometimes? Then there is the reality TV shows...now that is when it gets really interesting......The nanny, or Wife Swap....I ask you who on this planet would want to up lift their lives and go live with some strange family for a couple of weeks who's morals and cultural beliefs are so opposing to you own? Or what about that show...oh what is it called? hmmmm let me think....oh yeah it's something about all these California housewives...who all act like they are in their teens, behave worse than some toddlers and live off of their husbands fortunes and spend their days at spas, shopping and having body augmentation.....oh my goodness.....reality TV really really sucks!!!! Bring on the books.

Then if the programming isn't bad enough you get inundated with really bad commercials...and again I have found that day time commercials to be far worse then evening.... and are certainly geered towards a certain market. The female market... and based on the commercials I gather they think all stay at home mom's are obsessed with either wanting to lose weight, clean windows with the latest cleaners...or wash floors with some fancy shmancy floor cleaner and mop. But for me.....nothing burns my twizzlers more than commercials that keep telling us about losing weight.


Especially this time of year....just after the holidays....telling us to lose those extra pounds...blah blah blah....Ok I know we all need to be accountable for living healthy life styles and making good life choices. So where am I going with this you might ask. Well I was watching a Special K commercial today....and well it made me mad.....now it's not the first time I have watched this commercial....oh no....I have seen it a few times...and the more I watched it the more infuriated I got about it. It's a woman and her daughter playing outside...running around a snowman that they have just finished making....note I mentioned they were already outdoors doing something active. The mom is wearing a white coat, red scarf, hat and mittens. The young daughter pipes up and say something along the lines that her mom looks like the snowman.....at first I thought well yeah...they are dressed similar...but that to me is where it ends. The Special K folks want us to think that mom is over weight and needs to lose some weight...the next scene they show mom in the kitchen eating a bowel of Special K.....mom by no means was over weight.....

As I said it infuriated me...I thought what kind of images are they sending our daughters and other women.....So being the person that I am I felt that I needed to write a letter. So I went onto the web and found both the Canadian and US advertising and marketing representatives...and sent off an email explaining my displeasure with this particular advertisement. Now I don't know if it will get me anywhere....but I couldn't just sit by and say nothing. It was important to me to let them know I found this particular commercial in poor taste. One of the things I suggested they look at when they do commercials like this was to look at the persons BMI(body mass index)which is used to determine if someone is truly over weight. As I said the woman they had portrayed in the commercial was by no means overweight...and I just didn't understand what message they where trying to send.

So what I am saying here....couple of things...there's a lot of bad daytime tv out there....that portrays women in a bad light....and as an individual if I find something offensive then I need to speak up....I maybe only one voice....but one voice is better than no voice.

Have a great day....and might I suggest you pick up a good book or puzzle or better yet get out for a walk if possible...and turn off the TV. Cheers all?

9 comments:

Debo Blue said...

I haven't seen that commercial yet but I so agree with you about the quality of daytime TV. But you didn't mention those insipid soap operas. I wonder how they continue to attract a following when everything about it is so fake!

Thanks for picking up your pen and putting it to good use.

I've finished some mystery books by David Handler, see if you can find any in your area if you want light reading.

Jeni said...

At least one tv is on in this house ALL the time. That would be the one in the living room -serves as a night light of sorts with sound for Kurtis and a clock for me to know how late it is getting when I am up most of the night. I've come to the point now where most of the the time I am immune to commercials and ignore them But I really hate the constant barrage of the ones for Viagra and their claims to fame -"four hour erections" and the like. I won't interject my opinion on that one here.
I'm becoming an expert (again) on Sesame Street shows on PBS in the morning which thankfully come on after I get a chance to watch some good OLD shows on TVLand or the Hallmark channel. Afternoons -if the kids are asleep, I get to watch A&E, the Discovery Channel or TNT and their Law and Order reruns. Soaps -not for me or Mandy -unless in the mood for some outlandish comedy stuff just looking at the outfits some of the characters wear on those shows to wash dishes or their version of "cleaning house." (Spike heels for daytime house cleaning? I don't think so!)
I hate reality shows so never click into any of them. MOst of the time, the tv is a backdrop for me while I embroider or now and then, read.

Anonymous said...

If I watch tv during the day, it's usually CNN...or try to find a movie. Granted, during the day I'm normally at work...so daytime tv watching is usually something I don't do.

I did like the Special K commercial from last year this time, where the little girl mistakens her mother's bending over in a red and white robe to be Santa...I thought it was cute but this year's commercial...not so much. I think though that it wasn't suppose to be mean spirited or what not...the comment from the little girl was suppose to be light hearted and child like, but it just came off the wrong way with most people.

Smalltown RN said...

Well Jeni like you I much prefer the PBS stations with Inspector Morse or Prime Suspect,and yes you can't beat a good Law and Order rerun. Don't get me going on the soaps...I truly have never understood them and their popularity....

We have more TV's in this house than you can shake a stick at....my husband is a "white noise" kind of person...he seems to need the tv as a background noise to lull him to sleep....me on the other hand prefer the silence.....

Silverneurotic I saw that commercial you referenced for the first time yesterday after I had written my letter....sorry but I didn't see the humour in it either...but then again I don't have that great sense of humour....humour to me is not at the expense of another...that particular commercial you reference directly infers that the mom is "chubby' just like Santa...I gathered the advistisors wanted us to see the mom through the eyes of the young child and out of the mouths of babes....which to me makes it all the worse.

As I said I don't generally watch TV...usually to busy doing other things or working. This has truly been an eye opener for me.

clairesgarden said...

sorry your stuck in front of the daytime tv horror!! get well soon!!

Akelamalu said...

Good for you writing to complain about that advert. Not enough people do that, though I do!

Carver said...

I can't tolerate "reality" TV shows at all. Something I enjoy when laying low is the new option with netflix where you can view instantly on your computer. It's not available if you have a MAC but with a PC and windows explorer they have a large selection of movies and TV that you can watch on your computer. I joke about there being too much quality programming so I have to be careful not to do nothing but watch.

I'm serious. The problem is between the classics, documentaries, movies and fun shows I can watch that way it's addictive in a way junk TV isn't (since I don't like junk TV).

It's only 9.95 a month for unlimited instant viewing on my computer via netflix. I've dropped all but basic cable on my TV so it's cheaper.

Then again, books and puzzles are great. I guess I mean when you're taking it easy and feel like watching something good, that's worked out well for me.

Cathy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cathy said...

I am glad you mentioned this Special K commercial. I have also seen it a few times and every time I wonder why they are talking about her being overweight when she does not look overweight to me at all. Does it now mean we all look like snowmen when we wear our white coats? I like white coats but I don't think I want to wear mine right now. I ain't eating no damn Special K anymore either.