Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Health care and access for all......


Equal access for all. Gosh I wish that were true. Our provincial government keeps touting that they are providing equal access to health care for all British Columbians. Well I guess it all depends on your interpretation of access now doesn't it?

If you live in metropolitan Vancouver, Victoria, Kelowna or even in the Fraser Valley, health care is readily accessible. Now move out of those areas and it becomes a whole different ball game. Here on the island it is certainly the case. I am not talking about access to services like MRI's CT scans, Angio's or cancer treatments....that's a whole different topic. What I am referring to is access to a medical doctor.

At the end of April I had the misfortune of losing my doctor. He passed away unexpectedly and I am sadden by his loss. Not only was he my doctor but he was my employer when I did the flu clinic at his office and he was my friend, when he purchased his motorcycle he was so excited he had me come out to the parking lot to look at it. His passing has not only left a void in my personal life but also from a medical stand point. You see with his passing there is no one to replace him. That leaves all of his patients looking for a new doctor. That's right, we were told that one of the doctor's who is semi retired would see patients on an emergency basis only and that if you needed a doctor that you had to go to the after hours clinic in the next town. That's not very good if you ask me, especially in my community that is primarily seniors who have difficulties enough getting to the doctor. Then have to find a new doctor and find a way to get to the next community. We don't have buses or taxis where I live, so if you don't have your own form of transportation you are out of luck. Sure there are volunteer organizations that if you call a week ahead of time you MIGHT be able to get transportation from them, but that is not for certain, so how can you book an appointment if you don't know how you are going to get there?

So now I am faced with the task of trying to find a new doctor. There are no doctors to be had in my town and in researching the College of Surgeons and Physicians for listings of doctors accepting new patients there are four listed in the next town, but when you call the office they say they are not accepting new patients, when you ask them if they know who is they say they don't know. I found a doctor up island in the community in which I work, when I called I was told she was only accepting maternity patients... I explained that I was long past that stage in my life but that I really needed to find a doctor as mine recently became deceased, she told me to call back later that week. When I called back she told me that the doctor hadn't been in that she was on holidays but that I should call later this week. So here I am another week gone by and I still haven't been able to find a doctor. You would think that working in the field I would have easier access, that certainly is not the case.

When I was at work yesterday one of the specialist mentioned that he didn't want to discharge a patient because the patient didn't have a regular GP. He then went on to say that as a specialist he can't be taking on new patients just because they didn't have a doctor that was not his role as a specialist. As it turned out the patient because she was admitted under the "doctor of the day" she became his patient. But again, here is another example. This patient lives on the outskirts of town, she was discharged from the hospital but has to come in twice a day for shots and bloodwork. She doesn't drive, she tries to organize things around her daughters schedule but that isn't always possible as was the case when she left the hospital today. I could go on about the accessibility to services but as I said that is a whole post in itself.

So it would appear that health care is not equally accessible to all.

13 comments:

Leslie: said...

So frustrating! I'm a bit worried because my doctor is getting on and I'm afraid he'll retire right when I really need him. I finally got a referral to an orthopedic surgeon...for August 29th!!! Only have to wait 3 1/2 months. Hah! But it wasn't even to whom I wanted to go. Today, I'm in the worst pain and can hardly stand because the pain is so bad down both my legs. Oh well, I guess this too shall pass.

Martie said...

This saddens me that so many are trying t be treated by so few. A very bad situation to say the least. I don't have any answers. I hope it improves soon though.

Hugs my dear friend! ;)

Jeni said...

Where I live, we too are in similar circumstances. For many years, there were two hospitals -one about 12 miles from where I live, the other about 24 miles from here. Several years back the hospital 12 miles from here -which at that time was a state-run facility, closed. It was re-opened a few years later under a private-type management-community type thing and about two years ago now, closed its doors once more. There was a doctor, locally, who tried to get the hospital and re-open it but sadly, he and another physician were brought up on drug charges and it looks like that prospect is really dead in the water. And, just as you said about your area, finding a physician here is really difficult too. Most are not accepting new patients and there aren't many new ones willing to come work in a rural area like this. I lucked out, in that I started seeing my current family doctor before she stopped taking new patients. I didn't know she wasn't taking any new patients until after my son moved back here 4 years ago and really needed to get himself a family doctor so Mandy and I had recommended our doctor to him but he was too late. She won't even take Mandy's husband now either -although she did take Maya and Kurtis on as patients. But you are so right -so many obstacles for many people in search of medical care -from finding a doctor to finding a way to get there! (We have no public transportation here either.)

Janice Thomson said...

I lived with my daughter in Prince George for 2 years and could not get a doctor and was forced to move back here( which I was happy to do anyway) in order to see my previous doctor as I have kidney disease and need constant treatment for extremely high BP as well as weekly BUN and Cr testing. I am very fortunate he took me back considering the awful shortage of doctors province-wide. What a distressful situation that must be for all those older patients. I pray you and the others find someone soon.

Anonymous said...

Its a sad trend over here, fewer are willing to save lives when more lives are needed to be saved.

Becky L said...

I haven't stopped by in a LONG TIME. I'm a bad blogger friend-- so sorry!

Akelamalu said...

We have the same problem but with dentists! It's a real problem.

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

As new residents we had to wait for our medical coverage to begin. Now that it has, I have the task of trying to find a doctor. Our town is like yours, too many patients and not enough doctors. I'll let you know how it goes. - Margy

Dianne said...

I have a different yet similar problem. my area is chock full of doctors but so many of them have been forced to become groups and you lose the attention of your doctor. Just the other day I was told I had to see whichever dr. the group told me to see. I refused and had to make a new appt (for 6 weeks from now) so that I could see my doctor.

and I pay $800 a month for insurance yet virtually all the tests and specialists my dr. has ordered to address the new problems associated with my scoliosis have been denied. I have several different review hearings in process all at the same time.

so very frustrating.

on a personal note - your doctor friend who passed away sounds like he was a great guy. sorry about the loss.

Rositta said...

We have the same problem here in Toronto. When my Mom moved in with us I had the most difficult time finding her a physician in our neighbourhood. Nobody wants elderly patients. I did eventually find one, just out of med school lucky I guess. My own GP is my age and getting ready to retire. The only good thing is that it's a medical clinic with about 30 doctors so there is always the doctor on call with complete access to my file. Won't be the same though, your right...there is no equal access...ciao

John said...

Sorry to hear about your loss. Even a doctor that's just your doctor can be closer to you than a friend. It's someone you tell things you'd never tell anyone else about. The easy intimacy, the reassurance, the encouragement, the hope we get from our doctors bonds us to them like no-one else. It's a helluva thing losing your doctor - even if you could replace him.

Hang in there, kiddo.

whimsical brainpan said...

I am so sorry to hear about this. I hope you find a good doctor soon.

Minnesotablue said...

I don't have that problem, I live about a mile away from my clinic and the hospital is also located there. I know finding a good Doctor and especially one you trust and have confidence in is so important. My Husband lost his Doctor several years ago and it took hima a few years to trust his new one. She is a older woman and he thinks very highly of her