Saturday, October 04, 2008

Let's Dance...............

I was looking at that picture I posted yesterday with Fred Astair and Ginger Rogers. Gosh weren't they just an elegant couple....how they just flowed on the dance floor....they made it look so effortless. That photo really put a smile on my face.

I have wanted to take ballroom dancing for some time....initially hubby said he would, but now not so much. I love to dance as does he... I always thought it would be nice to have some professional lessons to learn some new steps. Anyhow, I don't see that happening in the near future..not that I am giving up....oh no....

A couple of the girls I work with are taking belly dancing lessons and asked if I would like to join them. Most people when they think of belly dancing think of the women dressed like this dancing and gyrating around the tables at Greek restaurants......

For me I think about the historic dancers....like these.....and how mystical and hypnotic their dance was...
According to Wikpedia:
Belly dance is a Western term for a traditional Middle Eastern dance form. Some American devotees refer to it simply as "Middle Eastern Dance." In the Arabic language it is known as raqs sharqi ( literally "oriental dance") or sometimes raqs baladi literally "national" or "folk" dance. The term "raqs sharqi" may have originated in Egypt. In Greece and the Balkans, belly dance is called tsiftetelli , çiftetelli in Turkish. The term "belly dance" is a creation of Orientalism, first used in English in 1899, and translating in French to "danse du ventre."
Belly dancing has really become popular with the general public. I took belly dancing lessons about 6 years ago and it was so much fun....it was really awkward at first and I felt very silly, but what a great work out. All sorts of people take belly dancing lessons....as evident by these photos.....

Anyhow, these lessons are a win win.....they are held at a community hall....it's by donation and all proceeds go towards a Christmas party for the less fortunate children in the area. Sounds good to me....I get to learn how to dance and have a great work out at the same time doing something for the community.
So I guess it's time I got up and shook my booty.....Happy Weekend all!

6 comments:

peppylady (Dora) said...

Oh this looks like fun. I heard of doing belly dance for exercise.

Carin Diaz said...

I like belly dancing . . . so feminine.

Any picture of you here?

Carver said...

I bet you'll have a great time. I know someone who has really enjoyed taking belly dancing. Sounds like a lot of fun.

Akelamalu said...

MWM and I did Line Dancing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed it. A short while back we found a Salsa Class but unfortunately we only got to go to one lesson when the class folded and we haven't been able to find another one - yet. I'm seriously thinking of joining a belly dancing class, my DIL said she would like to join too.

Mom Knows Everything said...

That sounds like fun and I hear it's great exercise!

Leslie: said...

Sounds like great exercise...I did line dancing years ago and what fun! And we really worked up a sweat... er...glow lol