Sunday, June 01, 2008

Kamloops Part two........

We made our way home from Kamloops via the Coquihalla Highway,the scenery is very different from the Fraser Canyon route. The canyon route as I said is slower pace and follows the Fraser River. The Coquihalla route was designed primarily as a trucking route and for those who want a faster route into the interior portion of the province. With all that being said this route takes you through some very mountainous terrain, in the winter months the the snowbanks are as high as 20 feet, sometimes you feel like you are travelling through snow tunnels.

Our trip home takes us through the community of Merritt that is where they hold Mountainfest with performs like Brooks and Dunn, Sugar Land, you name it most popular country music artist have been to Merritt. That's really the towns claim to fame...each July for 1 week the towns population grows from 4,000 to over 100, 000 it's really a sight to behold. Being that it is a very arid place the camp site become one big dust bowl and with temperatures at times soaring into the high 30's you just want to spend your time in the river that run through the camp grounds.
After Merritt you make the long climb to the summit and toll booth. Here the long winter is still evident with the snow still on the ground and the small lakes still covered with ice. It is very picturesque.

The mountain ranges just past the toll booth

We start to make the decent you don't realize the elevation until your ears start to pop and I guess the runaway lanes for the semi trucks is an indicator that you are descending from a steep grade. We make our way back to Hope where again the mountain views are spectacular and the vegetation is lush and green.Not the greatest shot, we were travelling at 120km/hr and I took this through the windshield.

And here is the man of the hour, my hero he drove many hours that day. Once we left the wonderful tranquility of the mountain ranges, we were quickly brought back to reality. Just before we got to Chilliwack there was a terrible accident involving a motorcyclist. Traffic in both was being diverted, needless to say the traffic was very backed up. We made our way through that and when we heard on the radio that there was a slow down further ahead on the highway, we thought about taking an alternate route but that would have added considerable time to our trip. We opted to forge onward for those of you who are familiar with the No. 1 highway the traffic started to back up again around 190th street....that is a very long ways from the Port Mann Bridge. By the time we got to the cause of the slow down the vehicles were over to the side and the occupants were exchanging information. The slow down was just a whole lot of looky loos.....we were hoping to make the 3:00pm ferry home but with all the delays that was just not in the cards. We did however make it for the 5:00 with lots of time to spare.

We arrived back on the big rock and breathed a sigh of relief, it's nice to go away but it's so nice to come home.

Hope you all have a fantastic weekend!!!

17 comments:

Sandy said...

The photos of the mountains are breathtaking! Nice photo of the "man of the hour"!

Jeni said...

Feeling a bit like Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" repeating "There's no place like home. There's no place like home," I bet! Great pictures and description of the area as you were driving along. Now, if I ever hit the lottery and buy a Winnebago Wagon so I can travel all over, every nook and cranny of North America, I'll have a little idea what to expect when I get up to British Columbia, won't I? Hope someone either buys me -or sells me - that winning ticket really soon now too!

Susie said...

These photos of your trip are just amazing. What a truly beautiful area.
I agree that getaways are fun, but it's always nice to get back home.
((hugs))

Michele said...

Your photos are outstanding Mary Anne. I am so impressed with the clarity and wow, you can be the next photographer for Beautiful British Columbia magazine! I'm sorry you had a bit of trouble out there on the highways, it always seems to happen while travelling, doesn't it?
Yes, there's still a lot of snow up in the mountains and I suppose it's a good thing as we won't suffer too much in the way of drought over the summer, I'm not sure if we had a good snow pack over the winter or not.
But I'm glad you all made it back safe and sound and I hope the travel didn't bother your shoulder too much...
Take care.
~Michele~

Crystal said...

I have some Bloggy Love for you over at Memoirs of a Mommy

Mom Knows Everything said...

It so cool to see the snow still in the rockies. One summer when we went to Vancouver my sister drove us up to some mountain, I don't remember the name of it, and there was snow there. It freaked me out in the middle of summer, us with short on, there was snow.

Akelamalu said...

I really have to see those mountains for myself someday - your photos have fuelled my desire!

Dianne said...

I know majestic mountains is a bit of a cliche but that's what these photos show!

Carver said...

Those are great shots and I can't believe you were getting them from the car. That's hard to do. I know what you mean about it being good to get away and good to get home. I'm always glad to get home from a trip.

Anonymous said...

I think I'd be scared to drive in that area, but it sure looks beautiful!

Leslie: said...

I haven't been up that route for many years, but I know pretty well every inch of the way. We always used to stop at the rest stop up the hill outside of the town. You know, the one with the fake fire hydrant for the dogs?

Guess what! My friend Cathy & I have planned a trip to the Island from Aug 5 to 14. We'll be staying in Duncan for 3 nights, Port Alberni for 1 night on the way to Tofino to stay at Middle Beach Lodge, and then driving all the way back to Qualicum Beach to spend another 3 nights before heading home via Duke Point on the 14th. Let me know if you are anywhere in those vicinities and hopefully we can meet up for coffee. Email me, 'k?

whimsical brainpan said...

What wonderful pictures! Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

Janice Thomson said...

I love those mountains - gorgeous photos Mary Anne.

Anonymous said...

did anyone tell you that the shots could easily be postcards-standard.
Its wonderfully taken!

Minnesotablue said...

I love the mountain shots. So beautiful!

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Looks like you had a great trip and seeing old friends is such fun. We had some friends visit us from the States last week. While they enjoyed themselves, I don't think they really understood why we love our float cabin so much. They just kept suggesting ways we could make it more city-like and "comfortable." - Margy

Dorothy said...

Wow what beautiful counry.
Only God can make things
so beautiful. Glad all
went well.

Dorothy from grammology
remember to call gram
www.grammology.com