Monday, December 22, 2008

Winter is certainly upon us.....

Christmas is in 3 days....Yesterday I was starting to panic as there were some things I still needed to get to at the stores but with this weather I wondered if I would be able to make it out. We do have four wheel drive vehicles but the weather conditions have just been miserable.

I have been home a week now from my surgery and the weather has been frightful. Snowing and freezing temperatures and it doesn't look like it is going to ease up anytime soon. I am not allowed to drive for 6 weeks post surgery so I call upon my father in law yesterday to see if he would be willing to make the 45 min. trek to town where I could do some finishing touches on my Christmas shopping.

Bless his heart he agreed. Other members of the family are starting to feel a little cooped up so they also decided to come along for the trip. Looking at the road conditions they said snow covered road with good visibility....the snow was only falling lightly....so off we went. Once we unburied my truck got it turned around we met up with the in laws at the top of the drive and all settled in for the drive. It wasn't bad at all.

One thing about shopping during a winter storm, the stores are not as crazy as they normally would be...can you imagine there were actually open cashiers when I went to pay for my purchases...that is so unheard of this time of year. We shopped for a couple of hours, and I was beginning to feel weary...we decided it was time to head home. As my daughter, mother in law and I got ourselves into the truck we all decided that we were hungry and it was time for some lunch. We wanted something more than McDonald's.....so I suggested the pub down the road which was on our way home.

Good choice....the food was good and reasonably priced, the atomosphere was casual and it almost made you forget there was a storm outside. The big screen flat LCD TV was showing Sunday football which the men were enjoying,l we could have stayed there for a little while, but the reality of the weather reminded us that we should start our trek back home.

During our drive we only came upon one vehicle that had jack knifed in a ditch...and that was a fuel truck...it was stuck pretty good and they were waiting for a crane to come lift it out. We took the more peaceful route home....following the shoreline....even still the tree branches hung low over the roads due to all of the snow. It was actually very picturesque...but of course I forgot my camera on my desk at home. Father in law got us all home safe and sound....the only little hiccup I will call it was when we drove down their drive to let them off closer to their door....the drive is relatively steep at places and snow covered...normally we leave the vehicles at the top of our drives during this weather in order to avoid getting stuck in the drive...but yesterday with parcels in hand we thought it best to drive down the drive...I won't say we got stuck....just kind of slid a bit....but we managed....daughter was a tad nervous and closed her eyes...the only time I got a little nervous was when we came within inches of losing my side view mirror to the hydro pole...but we didn't hit anything...my hubby got us turned around and the in laws made it safely into the house.

We made it down our drive....hubby has to still help me get in and out of the truck these days....last thing I need is to slip....while he was getting me settled in the house daughter gathered the parcels and brought them in....the fire was stoked....kettle put on for tea....I had my book and I settled myself in for a nice read on the couch...occasionally looking out the window to see what winter continued to bring us.

My eldest daughter who has been my godsend during this past week is planning on going back to her fathers for Christmas Eve to spend the day and evening with her sisters and dad. All of my girls will return to me on Christmas day weather permitting.

Wishing you all the very best for a wonderful day.....stay safe out there~~

Looking up my driveway.....

This is a view from my front door

11 comments:

Akelamalu said...

Oh WOW, we never get really bad weather like that! I'm not envious, though it does look pretty on the photos.

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas m'dear and continue to recover from your op. Hopefully your new year will be a healthy, happy one. xx

Jeni said...

Yes, it sure does look pretty. But, that's one kind of pretty that I can pretty well do without too -most of the time. I like to watch the snowfall just as long as I know I don't have to venture out in it!!! (Or that no one else here has to go anywhere in it too then.) Thankfully, the run my son is on now is from northern Maryland, down through Virginia and into North Carolina and then back to Maryland so he thinks those states are a bit easier to deal with pertaining to wintry weather than Penna. is. I don't know if he's right or not so will take his word for it. However, after the first of the year, he will go back to running all over the country -usually from Maryland to Kansas City, Denver or Los Angeles -and then my worries will change again as he could hit all kinds of weather conditions. Everything from soup o nuts!
Glad that you were able to get out, do some shopping and even enjoy a meal too. Keep getting better and stronger -my wish for you for the New Year!
Peace.

Mom Knows Everything said...

We got over 30 cm of snow last night and hubby spent 2 hours shoveling today. At least it's going to be a white Christmas though.

Rositta said...

It is very pretty but oh, so much work to clear. All of Canada is going to have a white Christmas this year...ciao

peppylady (Dora) said...

It sure looks like our neighborhood.
I planning to make a trip in to town.
But I want to check with my sister in law who hosting holiday celebration that I don't forget someone or something.
With roads like this I want to be well covered.

Coffee is on.

Wendy said...

Sounds like you had a good day all in all. I am glad you got home safe and sound. I spend today and yesterday baking and wrapping. Didn't have that much wrapping, but ran out of gift wrap, so back to the stores. Swore I would not go near the stores until after Christmas ((sigh))!
Your pics look like our place. Snow and more snow.
I got your name on the calendar exchange. Will send it out after Christmas, o.k.?
Have a wonderful Christmas!

Leslie: said...

So glad you're getting better Mary Anne. I hope I recover as well as you seem to be. My surgery was upped to Jan. 6th and I'm getting a bit anxious, but at the same time looking forward to being pain free finally!
Love your photos! It's very white here, too, but I really wish it would get warm and rain and wash it all away. I don't like to drive in it and we're supposed to go to my older daughter's for Christmas dinner. We might not make it...

Coastal BC Stories Books said...

Glad to hear you are feeling good enough to be out and about. We've had snow on our side of the strait, but it hasn't been as deep as on your side. Have a Happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year. -- Margy

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Mary Anne: It certainly looks like you are getting your share of Winter already.
Thanks for your comments.

clairesgarden said...

hi, thanks for the calendar swap message! the snow looks beautiful but its a thought to go out driving in it. you keep warm and safe!

jmb said...

I am glad to hear that you are coming along so well Mary Anne, although being snowed in is not much fun, is it? We made it out today but if we have the additional snow forecast we may not get to our friends house for Christmas either. Main roads are clear but we are just in unbelievable shape and no four wheel drive.

Have a wonderful Christmas with your family and whatever happens weatherwise we will enjoy it nonetheless.

Take care
jmb