So it has been another sleep deprived night. I was so looking forward to a good nights sleep. Tuesday was a 16 hour work day, and Wednesday I didn't get home from work until 0700 Thursday morning and had to be back at work by 4pm that day. Needless to say I was looking forward to some much needed sleep.Being a shift worker I realize that the world doesn't work on my schedule. Hence I have invested in a night mask and ear plugs. My hubby who is self employed works and sleeps at all hours, and has the luxury of making up his own sleep pattern. Hubby is a night owl. I believe this is partially due to the fact that often after dinner he will fall asleep on the couch for 2-3 hours. So by the time I am ready to go to bed he is just waking up and is rejuvenated. He then will stay up till 4 or even 5 in the morning, which is fine by me. Here is the problem. My dear sweet hubby is like a bull in a china shop. When he comes to bed he doesn't enter the room or bed quietly, not intentionally of course but all the same he is noisy and shuffles about ALOT before he finally goes off to sleep. Well by this time I am now awake. I don't have to get up yet, but my sleep has now been disturbed. I attempt to fall back to sleep only to be awoken by the roar of snoring. Oh yes, this man can snore. He snores so much that he can be heard a floor down and on the opposite side of the hou
se.So, my resolve has been that I get up, pillow in hand and make my way downstairs to the couch and try to get some more sleep. I will if I am lucky dose off for a little while, but then dawn approaches and the room becomes light and the day begins, whether I am ready for it or not.
I have been cursed with being a very light sleeper, and being a shift worker doesn't help. My sleep schedule and pattern is often all messed up. So what do I do? We have talked about separate rooms, but he won't hear of it and I really don't want to go that route, although we kinda unofficially have that going on right now. I think my hubby might also suffer from sleep apnea. I have asked him to go to his doctor to get checked but he won't go because if he does he says he doesn't want to use the CPAP machine.
Here I sit, making this post whilst he is upstairs snoring away having a wonderful sleep. I have to work again this afternoon, and I had all these things I wanted to do today prior to going to work, but I am now feeling sleep deprived and don't have the energy. To be perfectly honest, I think I am a tad on the cranky side.
So I ask you what's a girl to do? What would you do?
6 comments:
What we do is start off the night together for some cuddle and sleepy chat before he goes into the other room to sleep. Apparently, I have sleep apnea and snore - not all night, but enough to interfere with the sleep he really needs to be able to work efficiently the next day. It's not what I'd prefer, but after trying the CPAP machine and finding that it isn't for me or him, either since it sounds like a ventilator. And on the weekends, whoever wakes up first comes into the other room for another wakeup cuddle. Works for us, except I now don't have a guest room. lol
Well Leslie...I really think that might be our answer...like you I like the snuggle before sleep and when I wake up....so I guess we will just have to work something out....there are CPAP machines now that you can barely hear...the technology has really come a long ways...but they are expensive and well not the most attractive...but again..now you can get the nasal airway ones which aren't to bad....
Great post...I felt your sleep-deprived frustration. Working in the ER and rotating shift hours, I used to use Nyquil or Tylenol PM to catch up on my sleep and manipulate my schedule. Then my buddy wrote me for Ambien. I don't use it often, I think a 30d supply lasts me 6 months, but when I get to the point you are at while writing this post, I pop 1/2 to 1 tablet and I am good to go.
Hope your shift went well and you got some sleep, after all!
P.S. No, I'm NOT an Ambien drug rep! LOL
My ex was an awful snorer. I would try putting the pillow over my head when in retrospect I should have put it over his. Just kidding. Maybe :P
Sometimes I would go sleep on the couch as you're doing.
*hugs*
I sleep in bits
3 hours and then maybe 2 hours
have always been a bad sleeper and since I hurt my leg it's gotten worse
You need to educate your hubby about the risks of living with sleep apnea - hypertension/strokes. My uncle died from a stroke his MDs are convinced was related to untreated sleep apnea (he was 52yo). That finally convinced my father to go for a sleep study (he didn't want CPAP either). He used a CPAP for about a yr and then found the Mandibular Repositioning Device for a trip he didn't want to carry the CPAP on. It works like a charm and he sleeps much better with it. It also has cut his snoring down significantly per my mom! There are other options!!! Good luck!
Post a Comment